Re: Open Database Connectivity

From: Alberto Dell'Era <alberto.dellera_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 14:33:46 +0100

ODBC is a "standard API for accessing databases", not really a tool - the idea is to have a common set of methods for accessing databases, "independent" from the database.

Same thing the Java people did with JDBC, which is a closely related technology.

A good starting point (with pointers to various docs at the bottom): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odbc

regards
alberto

On 11/5/06, August Spier <gspier_at_chiliad.com> wrote:
> Does anybody remember what was the original function of ODBC ?
>
> I am working with a development shop that is porting their Windows
> application to Solaris and now are in a quandary over the Solaris
> analogy to ODBC. It was my uninformed opinion that ODBC was a tool
> for developers to use to simplify the programming process. So, from
> my point of view, when one ports to Solaris, all the complexity of
> dealing with the Windows operating system is no longer an issue and
> any relatively accomplished sql programmer should be able to
> accomplish required tasks without reliance on tools like this.
>
> But as I say, that's an uninformed opinion and google searches return
> 'way too many articles to paw through. Can someone point to a
> document of two that is rather more authoritative?
>
> r,
>
> Gus

Alberto Dell'Era
"Per aspera ad astra"