Open Database Connectivity

From: August Spier <gspier_at_chiliad.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 08:11:19 -0500

Does anybody remember what was the original function of ODBC ?

I am working with a development shop that is porting their Windows application to Solaris and now are in a quandary over the Solaris analogy to ODBC. It was my uninformed opinion that ODBC was a tool for developers to use to simplify the programming process. So, from my point of view, when one ports to Solaris, all the complexity of dealing with the Windows operating system is no longer an issue and any relatively accomplished sql programmer should be able to accomplish required tasks without reliance on tools like this.

But as I say, that's an uninformed opinion and google searches return 'way too many articles to paw through. Can someone point to a document of two that is rather more authoritative?

r,

Gus