RE: Reasons for not considering Logical Standby Databases for Reporting purposes

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 00:20:34 +0100

Don't forget to test whether the extra amount of redo (and accompanying overhead) because of supplemental logging is something the primary database can deal with.

What is the reason to have a reporting database? If your primary can't handle the load of you reports, you better be sure your standby server is at least as big as your primary. I agree with Ric that Logical is not the best choice for DR. If you need DR consider Physical seriously, eventually as a second standby.

After installing 30-40ish DG systems at numerous sites, I've run into a Logical Standby install just one. And they traded this in for Physical Standby after a couple of months.

If you want a nightmare of various log destinations, depending on the roles primarys and standbys can play in your system, you should definitely take cascaded log destinations into account. This is a rather quick way to make your system complex to a level of unmanageability!

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===