Re: Novell/MSFT

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 08:43:06 +0800

Quoting Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>:
> Unbreakable?
>
> http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/microsoftnovell-partner-ove
> r-linux/

Like I said when Larry's announcement came out: he's NOT stupid, don't read too much into the "demise of RH and Linux" and other such sheer, uninformed nonsense.

Is there any doubt in my mind that these two announcements within one week of each other have been in the pressure cooker for months?

Nope.

Is it gonna mean the end of Linux? Of course not! If anything, it's gonna signal the move of entrerprise systems into Linux at a much faster pace. To the detriment of Unix and to a certain extent, databases on Windows server.

I wouldn't be AT ALL surprised if the battle lines didn't turn into M$/Linux/Oracle vs M$/Unix/Oracle.

With of course a win-win to M$ and Larry. Yet again. Nothing like learning from history, but folks never do... :-)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto