Re: RMAN impact

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 16:48:45 -0500

Some people eat broken glass, too. ;-)

Yes, some apps (like SAP) do implement their own constraints. But the underlying Oracle database is no longer "relational". In fact, with SAP, it is not even close... (As I recall, it is commonplace to see multiuple "record types" in the same Oracle table -- not even 1NF.)

In effect, SAP has simply implemented thier own RDMBS that uses Oracle is a big, expensive disk drive. Sort of. (At least, this is how I understand it.)

And, yes, if there are no indexes at the Oracle level in your SAP database, you are pretty much screwed when the "logical corruption fairy" comes to visit. ;-) (It's too long since I last looked at an SAP database -- don't recall how the data is indexed, but I would not be at all surprised to learn that the application "handles" that as well...)

On 10/30/06, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/28/06, Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Nonetheless, I'll stick to my original statement; if you find an Oracle
> > database containing a large number of tables with no indexes, somebody
> > usually deserves a kick in the butt. (That said, in my wanderings, I have
> > actually encountered more than a few databases containing hundreds or tables
> > with nary a Primary Key constraint in sight. Of course, had it actually
> > been in my power, I probably would have kicked some butts -- I have yet
> > to encounter a situation where that lack of primary keys was actually
> > correct -- although I can imagine a few where it would be...)
> >

> Some apps do their own PK enforcement.
>
> Though a number of apps do this, the only one I have personally seen that
> does so succesfully is SAP. I still don't like it, but there's little I
> can do about it.
>

> --
> Jared Still

Cheers,