Big database backup

From: Yechiel Adar <adar666_at_inter.net.il>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 21:24:30 +0200

Oracle 9206 on windows RAC with synchronous RFDS (or whatever having the EMC controller replicate the data to remote site is called) to backup site. We have an imaging database that is about 1TB and will grow to 2TB in the next year.
Currently we backup with RMAN to tape but we have doubts about the feasibility and the time needed to restore. We started to talk about using clone to backup the database.

One option is to add 2TB storage and do local cloning.

I suggested to use the remote site for cloning, i.e. 1) Put the tablespace in backup mode.
2) Tell the EMC controller to synchronize the remote site to be a copy of the local site.
3) After both are the same, tell EMC to stop sending updated blocks, from the database disks, to the remote site. 4) Exit from backup mode.
5) Archive logs are kept on disk for 2 weeks and are written to another disk that is replicated to the remote site, so we can do recover if the primary site is down.
6) Once a week take a tape backup, on the remote site, in case the primary site goes down during the synchronize phase.

What do you think?

Can you share the backup methods you use for 1-2TB database backup using EMC storage technologies?

--

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel

--