Fwd: OLAP presentation in Sydney

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 11:40:04 +1100

Hi All,

People in Sydney might be interested in the following presentation. I have done some work with Richard at a major local RAC site and have seen first hand the benefits of using a cube to mine Oracle performance data.

    I recommend his presentation.

@ Regards,
@ Steve Adams
@ http://www.ixora.com.au/ - For DBAs
@ http://www.christianity.net.au/ - For all

Just to let you know that I am giving a presentation on "*OLAP, What is it Good For?*" next Monday, November 6th at 6PM in Sydney CBD. The presentation assumes no prior knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services 2005, but as the target audience is technical (typically DBAs) the presentation will suit technical (not business) persons. The main demonstration cube is a tool to help manage an Oracle RAC database, so it will be particularly relevant for anyone also interested in Oracle RAC performance. Most cubes and data mining models that I build consume business data that is awkward to demonstrate to a technical audience, not to mention data sensitivity. Fortunately the OraclePerformance cube is appropriate for a technical audience and we can look at the insides and outsides of the cube.

*The venue is: Mechanics' School of Arts, Level 1, 280 Pitt St, Sydney. Pizza and beer (did I mention it is a technical audience?) at 5:30pm. Presentation from 6pm till 8pm. On Monday, 6 November 2006 (eve of Melbourne cup).*

The venue is hosted by the SQL Server Special Interest Group (SQLSIG) and is open to the public, although they do encourage people to register see http://www.sqlserver.org.au/events/ViewEvent.aspx?EventId=208.

By the way, if you know what OLAP is and would like to see it in action, you can do so on my site http://RichardLees.com.au/demonstrations. There are several cubes (including continually updated web and firewall databases) with ThinSlicer as your thin client tool.