Re: Oracle IT Modernization

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 09:31:28 +0000

It's an existing phrase and not so much marketing as management consultancy speak (value that how you will). It is especially popular in the UK in the public sector - though of course it has been borrowed extensively from the private sector. People who want to modernize their IT (or HR or Finance or... ) operations will also likely speak of making it fit for purpose and (in the public sector) citizen centered. It's a crying shame really that so many people over the years have spent so much time making their organisations unfit by adopting ancient technology in order to be self-indulgent :(

On 10/31/06, Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Gints Plivna wrote,on my timestamp of 31/10/2006 10:23 AM:
>
> > I wonder whether Modernization will become a new buzzword - see more
> > http://www.oracle.com/technologies/modernization/index.html
> >
> > Anyway from now on if you want to rewrite something or just throw
> > something away you can call it modernization :) I'm rather sure
> > management will accept modernization much better than rewriting
> > anything or throwing anything away :)
>
> right up there with "refactoring" for total
> deranged nonsense value...
>
> and probably the "next big thing",
> or the "new black".
>
> or some other equally idiotic expression
> conceived by pea brain marketeers to
> convince damagers with an even smaller
> brain to part with the moolah they've been
> "saving" by outsourcing and offshoring...
>

> As MAD magazine would say:
> What, me worry? Narh!
>
> --
> Cheers