RAID 5+1 and BAARF

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:05:22 +0000

I am more on the development side, so I have very little experience with hardware. I have read the articles on BAARF. I directly our infrastructure guy to the webpage and he is looking at it. Here is an email I got from him. Is there ever a cause to use RAID 5?

Using RAID1 or RAID10 would increase the cost of the company SAN by atleast a factor of 3.

I worked on this two years ago, so the information below is 2 years old.

In SAN (EMC or Hitachi arrays) the issues pointed out by Milsap and others are avoided as follows, keeping the cost low: