RE: How much does it cost to run Enterprise Oracle on Linux?

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:33:14 -0700

I'd say 2GB is just an arbitrary number - I don't know why they would say that. Anyone else have any idea if there is something magical about the 2GB size that would warrant partitioning? Sounds to me like they're just saying that to help with sales of the Enterprise Edition and the partitioning option.

Frequency of selects, inserts and deletes has nothing to do with partitioning. It all depends on exactly *how* those operations are being performed. For example, if you're doing a bunch of unique index lookups and individual inserts and deletes, partioning isn't going to help at all, but if you're performing full table scans or index range scans that could be broken up by partitions or mass inserts/deletes that could be done in partitions, then it could be a big help.

        From: laura pena [mailto:lizzpenaorclgrp_at_yahoo.com]

        It does say tables greater than 2gb should always be considered.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/c12p arti.htm#459787

        This table is is select, inserted and updated too very often.