RE: sqlplus variable

From: Zelli, Brian <Brian.Zelli_at_RoswellPark.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:54:48 -0500

Hello all,
I strange thing happens when I set a variable in Linux. I set the variable as SQL_UTL='sqlplus /nolog' in the bash shell. When I do a set command to see all the variables, it looks like this: SQL_UTL=$'sqlplus /nolog\r'

For those on Linux, how do I correct this? It works fine on my HP UX boxes.

ciao,
Brian

From: Wolfson Larry - lwolfs [mailto:lawrence.wolfson_at_acxiom.com] Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 4:27 PM
To: Wolfson Larry - lwolfs; Zelli, Brian; oracle-l Subject: RE: sqlplus variable

You might just want to try google first like

bash export variable definition

    Larry

Example:

3.2.2. Creating variables

Variables are case sensitive and capitalized by default. Giving local variables a lowercase name is a convention which is sometimes applied. However, you are free to use the names you want or to mix cases. Variables can also contain digits, but a name starting with a digit is not allowed:

prompt> export 1number=1
bash: export: `1number=1': not a valid identifier

To set a variable in the shell, use

VARNAME="value"

Putting spaces around the equal sign will cause errors. It is a good habit to quote content strings when assigning values to variables: this will reduce the chance that you make errors.

Some examples using upper and lower cases, numbers and spaces:

franky ~> MYVAR1="2"

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Zelli, Brian Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 3:01 PM
To: oracle-l
Subject: sqlplus variable

Hello all,

I've been trying to script a backup that uses sqlplus /nolog as a variable. I create the variable as:
SQL_UTILITY='sqlplus /nolog' export SQL_UTILITY

in my bash script but when I execute it I get:

': not a valid identifier

I've tried a bunch of different combos but still get the same error. Which part is wrong?

If I just type this at the command line and then echo back $SQL_UTILITY, it works. What could be wrong script-wise?

ciao,
Brian

*
The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank you.

*

This email message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this email message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this email message from your computer. Thank you.