Re: RAC on Windows or Linux

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 07:37:35 +0100

On 10/25/06, Arnon, Yuval <Yuval.Arnon_at_webloyalty.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are planning to move our production from Windows 32bit (2003) Oracle9i
> (9.2.0.7) and Oracle Fail Safe to RAC. One major decision we need to make
> is do we stay on Windows environment or move to Linux. Our plan is also to
> migrate to 10gr2.
> One company we consult with recommended that we move to Linux as the
> support and user base of Windows RAC is very small.

Hi

Who supports the OS? (Yes smart alec's Oracle will). I.E would this be your only linux boxes? I haven't seen figures for RAC installations and would indeed imagine that linux RAC outsells Windows RAC considerably, however approaching half of Oracle's sales (by volume not value) last time I saw them (from an Oracle presentation) were to Windows customers. If you already have good linux skills in house then the platform move probably isn't a big deal, if you don't it is. Again if you have a support issue that is specific to RAC on Linux it will get fixed likely quicker than one that is specific to RAC on Windows, both classes of problems I suggest are rather smaller than problems specific to RAC or problems specific to Linux. Actually I'm seeing more PORT-SPECIFIC bugs in my current Linux role than my previous Windows one but that is just anecdotal, When assessing the supportability of a given platform I'd say, look first at your own staff, then at the vendor and then at the sorts of people who consult. You want to be resolving 80-90% of issues in house is my guess.

cheers

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA