Re: RMAN impact

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 20:46:59 -0600

Again, true.

Except that we were discussing Oracle here. Whether or not RMAN can detect logical corruption is, after all, a moot point if you happen to be using DB2 or Sybase. Unless RMAN does much more than I think it does. ;-)

Yes, I agree, that logical datamodels are not (directly) concerned with Indexes. In fact, if you really want to split hairs, a "physical" data "model" might not be either, as indexes are indeed simply "performance enhancements" (except where they are otherwise mandated by the RDBMS) and therefore have nothing to do with the actual data.

Nonetheless, I'll stick to my original statement; if you find an Oracle database containing a large number of tables with no indexes, somebody usually deserves a kick in the butt. (That said, in my wanderings, I have actually encountered more than a few databases containing hundreds or tables with nary a Primary Key constraint in sight. Of course, had it actually been in my power, I probably would have kicked some butts -- I have yet to encounter a situation where that lack of primary keys was actually correct -- although I can imagine a few where it would be...)

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead