Re: How much does it cost to run Enterprise Oracle on Linux?

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 20:28:38 -0600

But there is a minimum number of Named Users. For Enterprise Edition, that is 25 named users per CPU.

At the end of the day, the minimum cost for "Named User" licensing is 50% of the cost of CPU licensing. If your user community grows, the cost for "Named User" licensing can (and will) be much higher. Based on $800/user, named user licensing for an appliction exposed to the internet (the maximumcost case) could list at around USD $4.8 trillion, although for this, Oracle Corp would have to argue that everyone on the planet has access to the internet. You'd need to have a lot of CPUs (120 million) to make that worthwhile...

The minimum user counts for the Standard Editions are much more attractive... ;-)

Actually though, with Standard Edition One (or eXpress Edition) and modest storage requirements, the cost of the OS license can suddenly look veryrelevant...

On 10/27/06, Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> If you get cpu, licenses, that is. You can also get per-user licenses, for
> much much less (something like $800 per User - but don't quote me on that
> number :-)
>
> Stefan

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead