RE: latch wait - cache buffer chain - Solved?

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 23:39:16 -0500

Maybe, ...maybe you were encountering some unlucky hash collisions. When two or more popular blocks hash to the same cache buffers chain (cbc), you end up with a higher amount of cbc latch competition than you want. It might be that when you created your new index, the file ids and block ids of the new index didn't hash to the same cache buffers chains as your old ones, and you removed an unlucky contention.

Problem is that now you'll never know, unless you still have the old index lying around. You could have looked in x$bh to see if you had pairs (or more) of particularly active blocks on the same cbc.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
Nullius in verba