Re: Oracle Announces The Same Enterprise Class Support For Linux As For Its Database

From: Chris Marquez <marquezemail_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:38:41 -0400

On 10/26/06, Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) < Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us> wrote:

>> The fight...the Financial Folks.
>> If they can save ...you may be forced into it.
We all seen the techies spew enough IT stuff to confuse and scare even the best CFO…and sometimes correctly.

>> think about is the smaller IT shops.
>> They have limited budgets and staff

I agree in principal, but very small shops often do "carry" enough or correct level of annual support.
Simply they are underpay (some overpaying) now.

>> Running the same software but using a different phone number for support.

>> If I were paying the bills, it would be a no brainier.
Yeah, I agree.
For those who don't think much of the software industry is all about support.
RH stock is down $4.50 almost 20% today…on this Oracle will "support" Linux news.

>> Compare it to Internet Phone service.
>> I know a lot of people who have switched and now pay one bill
>> (internet/phone combined) and save money at the same time.
Yeah, but...
I have seen the reviews of this and it is love or hate the service…no middle ground.
The average score for (home based) Internet Phone service is "4". Not a lot of "4's", but a bunch of 1 & 2 and a bunch of 8 & 9. So if Oracle sucks at supporting Linux for not much less then the CFO will have no muscle.
Remember (most) people don't buy support because they "plan" they buy it to calm their fears. And people will do a lot and pay a lot to cover their fears.

I do understand and agree with you logic on this.

--
Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA