RE: Oracle Announces The Same Enterprise Class Support For Linux As For Its Database

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qg.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:05:36 -0500

That's the only hurdle here. My Teamlead and SA is a huge Linux fan. He only runs Linux on his desktop, using Citrix to do Outlook and homegrown Winders apps. We test drive RAC 9i for a year, hoping it would replace our midrange Unix boxes with a Linux blade farm (it didn't). We have refused to put Oracle on Winders since some major corruption debacles back in v7. However, he has a very difficult time justifying the cost of RedHat support versus our corporate Winders rate, so we have only one RH server currently rolled out and it's slated for retirement as soon as I can get the stragglers off of the ONames server it's running.

But if Oracle has a more attractive support offering for a similar product, that may swing here. So all you early birds let us know how it goes! Us second meeses will grab that cheese...

Cheesehead Rich

Disclaimer: "We don't create databases -- we summon them." -- Ron V., Teamlead/SA

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of William B Ferguson Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 8:37 AM To: marquezemail_at_gmail.com
Cc: oracle-l
Subject: Re: Oracle Announces The Same Enterprise Class Support For Linux As For Its Database

Actually I think all the hubbub is about Oracle offering cheaper support for Red Hat Linux than Red Hat. I just ran across this article:

http://apnews1.iwon.com/article/20061026/D8L0BDQ00.html (Oracle takes aim at Red Hat)