RE: 10.2.0 Standalone OEM Sessions Page Lacks Controls

From: Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:29:19 -0400

DB Console is easy to install. Here are the steps:

Set your Oracle Sid and Oracle Home (10.2.x)

$emca -repos create

Follow the instructions. This creates the repository in your database under the SYSMAN user.

$emca -config dbcontrol db

This sets up the dbcontrol software to run on your machine. After this is complete, you should have a SERVERNAME_SID directory in your oracle home directory. Take note of the url to connect to db control in this step.

To start and stop dbcontrol:

Set your $ORACLE_SID (you need to start and stop the console for each database that you configured)

emctl start dbconsole

emctl stop dbconsole

I have just set this up on AIX, version 10.2.0.2. Now here is an interesting tidbit.

I set up two databases on the machine for dbcontrol. I configured DB1 first followed by DB2. After a server outage, I attempted to start dbconsole for the databases. If I try and start dbconsole for DB2 before DB1, it starts but I am unable to connect to it - something just hangs. The log files show that something is terribly wrong.

If I start dbconsole for DB1 and then DB2, everything works just fine.

This is the new and improved console that Oracle is providing to us. Time to start reviewing Tivoli again.

Tom

This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited. In addition, unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law, including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Allen, Brandon Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 4:46 PM To: JApplewhite_at_austinisd.org; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: 10.2.0 Standalone OEM Sessions Page Lacks Controls

A lot of the functionality was stripped ouf of the 10g Java EM console. My guess would be that the OEM help is incorrect - they probably didn't do a very thorough job of updating it to account for the removed functionality. For example, I found several references to a GUI Outline Manager in the 10g EM documentation, however there really is no GUI Outline Manager in 10g like there was in 9i.

You probably have to use DB Console - it is like Grid Control, but only for an individual database and it is installed by default with every database, at least if you create it with the DBCA.

Regards,

Brandon