Re: Can Missing Tempfiles be Simply ADDED back after eXtract of FULL Database Backup ?

From: Greg Norris <spikey.mcmarbles_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 07:35:33 -0500

On 10/25/06, VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infosys.com> wrote:

> Can Missing Tempfiles be Simply ADDED with the SAME NAME after eXtract of
> FULL Database Cold Backup?

> SQL> ALTER TABLESPACE <Temp Tblspc> ADD TEMPFILE '<Temp File Name>' REUSE;

Yes, this works just fine (last verified under 9iR2). You only need to specify REUSE, of course, if the file already exists.

I tend to use the following song-and-dance when the file isn't already present, in order to prevent it from being created sparse under *nix. Not strictly required, by any means, but it makes space management (at the filesystem level) somewhat simpler.

create tablespace temp2

   datafile '/blah/blah/mytempfile.dbf' size ???m    extent management local uniform size ??m; drop tablespace temp2;
alter tablespace temp

   add tempfile '/blah/blah/mytempfile.dbf' size ???m reuse;

--
"I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred.