Re: Backing up the recovery catalog

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:31:15 -0700

On 10/20/06, gparc_at_free.fr <gparc_at_free.fr> wrote:

> Brandon,
>
> some more potential benefits (as always it depends...) :
>
> - it's easier at least in 9i to reset the database to
> a previous incarnation (RMAN command "reset database")
> if you have a recovery catalog
>
> - there are some restrictions for TSPITR without a recovery catalog
> (See Backup and Recovery adavanced User's guide Release 10gR2 p.171)
>
> - again some restrictions when performing transport tablespace with RMAN
> (See same doco p.309)
>
> - also, you must connect to a recovery catalog when issuing a REPORT
> SCHEMA
> command with the AT TIME, AT SCN, or AT SEQUENCE options
>
> - if you manage lots of database, I think it's easier for reporting
> purposes to
> have a recovery catalog

Gilles, you make some good points.

What the DBA needs to consider is "How important are these things to me?"

Speaking for myself, they are rather unimportant.

If 5 years at the this company, there has never been a need to take advantage
of the features you mention, so I have come to see the recovery catalog as just
one more database to administer.

A larger shop (with more DBA's) might see this differently.

Just my 0.118796 Kroner's worth.

--
Jared Still