Re: Why increase in UNDO after truncate?

From: Daniel W. Fink <danielwfink_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:29:19 -0600

The problem is likely the import not the truncate. What is the COMMIT setting for the import? What is your UNDO_RETENTION setting? If you commit more frequently and have a low undo_retention setting for the database while importing, you will minimize the amount of undo used because undo blocks will be reused more often instead of allocating new blocks and extending the tablespace. UNDO_RETENTION is dynamic so you can lower it, run the import, then raise it back up without bouncing the database.

However, the downside is that the chance of an ORA-01555 increases for user queries for the duration of the import.

Regards,
Daniel Fink