Re: ** SPAM scored: Med **RE: should one use ANSI join syntax when writing an Oracle application?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 12:53:11 +0100

On 10/18/06, Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com> wrote:

> At 02:02 AM 10/18/2006, Polarski, Bernard wrote:
> >@Mindaugas:
> >
> >"select count(*) from (select * from test1 t1 full outer join test2 t2
> >on t1.n = t2.n);"
>
> >I don't like the ANSI syntax because it mix the task performed in the
> >FROM and in the WHERE clause.
> >In the old Oracle oracle all the join logic is in one block while in
> >ANSI syntax is it is spread.
>
> Just to add another bit of nitpicking. What we call "old', Oracle or
> "traditional" SQL
> is also ANSI SQL (without the outer join extension which isn't
> mentioned in the subject line but everyone seems to use in the
> examples) just an older ANSI standard.

Outer joins were however the subject matter of the original post. "I will have to write a lot of queries involving outer joins which syntax should I use" is my precis. I like the use of traditional as well, it carries less, or maybe different, emotional baggage.

I'm also a bit surprised that no-one has mentioned database independent code (but as I hate database independent apps I won't :( ).