re: ORA-17055 ?

From: cosmin ioan <cosmini_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 01:53:48 -0700 (PDT)

ok.... I better rephrase the problem:
  we're having an intermittent problem on a setup of Apache 1.3.46 and Weblogic 8.2 and Oracle 9.2.0.6 in that we receive HTTP 500 errors with servers being even at low loads (5 concurrent OLTP users of somewhat heavier IO transactions). The app works about 99% of the time however with more users, more load, it starts failing. We've tried toying with pretty much every timeout parameter we thought of, in both Apache and Weblogic but to no avail...

  Next, I'm trying to isolate the DB out of the equation by just having dummy (non-db) transactions, so hopefully that will yield something ;-)

  or perhaps, for test, I need to put all three servers on the same box ;-)

  something's gotta give! LOL

  thx,
  Cosmin

Norman Dunbar <norman.dunbar_at_environment-agency.gov.uk> wrote:

Morning Cosmin,

> cosmin ioan 10/18/06 03:12am >>>
> ORA-17055
> Invalid character encountered in

> hi guys, has anyone encountered this in JDBC apps?
No, I'm afraid not.

> -- not very well documented in Oracle and I'm not a Java
> developer ;-)

Neither am I and I never will be. For some reason, I simply loathe Java.

Having said that, the usual cause (in my code anyway) is simply having a semi-colon in the SQL statement as in something like this statement.parse('select stuff from dual ; ');

The semi-colon usually gives the problem.

> not sure what to make of it and don't know if it has anything to do
with some tables' columns
> being defined as varchar2( x byte) vs varchar2(x)...

I shouldn't think that that's a problem as it is perfectly valid - especially as the table is already created (isn't it ?) in the database.

If you can recreate the problem at will, shove a 10046 trace on the session (or use DBMS_SUPPORT.START_TRACE_IN_SESSION(sid, serial#, false,false) and scan the resulting trace file (after you recreate the problem) for an ERROR line. That's the cursor and statement that is giving you grief. You'll probably find it fails on the PARSE phase. DBMS_SUPPORT.STOP_TARCE_IN_SESSION(sid,serial#) turns tracing off - if the session hasn't ended by then. (connect as sys and start ?/rdbms/admin/dbsmsupp.sql to install it for SYS use only.)

HTH Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar.
Contract Oracle DBA.
Rivers House, Leeds.

Internal : 7 28 2051
External : 0113 231 2051

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.

We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk