RE: truncate command internal behavior

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:06:49 -0700

 >>>Third, a bit of curiosity: Does the time to truncate vary

>>>with the buffer cache size? That would imply a horribly
>>>blown cache search which I certainly hope is not the case.

...hoping JL will comment, but I can recall from experience that in 8i (can't remember if R1,R2 or R3), a VLM size SGA would take forever to truncate a table as the server process had to walk all the chains to invalidate the buffers ... that smoked a single CPU for a long time on a large SGA....

I routinely use 20+ GB SGAs and have not seen that in 9i or 10g.

FWIW