RE: should one use ANSI join syntax when writing an Oracle application?

From: Polarski, Bernard <Bernard.Polarski_at_atosorigin.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:32:04 +0200

I will rather agree with Mladen. I use the dba-base link and the NATURAL join it is all but natural:

AnsiSQL:
SELECT department_name,

       city
FROM departments

       NATURAL JOIN locations;

Oracle:
SELECT d.department_name,

       l.city
FROM departments d,

       locations l
WHERE d.location_id = l.location_id
AND d.country = l.country;

The problem with NATURAL is that the join columns become hidden. SQL was a language to express you thought.
It becomes here with hidden thought. So by looking at the Ansi syntax I have no idea of the joins.
I give you 2 tables with 200+ columns and you have to search, not difficult but not natural.

As of the verbose side ansisql, it as bad and good:

Bad : when you have 20 joins, the list prevent you to have an overview of what is happening. I always found big queries ansi SQL to be quite unfriendly. The Oracle way is more 'schematic'.

Good: It becomes harder on small query to make a cartesian join. With the oracle way, you can quickly forget a predicate. The predicate is in your head, not on the sql, and result is cartesian product.

Having said that, the last tendency of analytic function violate 100% the philosophy of SQL
which was keep the syntax simple and leave difficulty on the action performed. Now if I don't practise the rollup, I tend to forget the syntax.

My 2c

B. Polarski