Re: IO rate for U320 SCSI 15K RPM Hard Drive

From: goran bogdanovic <goran00_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:16:07 +0200

Hi Frits,

On 10/13/06, Frits Hoogland <frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Biggest problem here is that it this is (very correctly stated): sequential
> IO.
> Can you guarantee you use the disks in a strict sequential way?

No I can not. In my post I have stated that "most IO operations done by oracle are random in nature"

If your IO pattern is not sequential but random (as probably most disks are
> used), the IO throughput figure drops significantly.

I agree

The 75% full thing is discussed by James Morle the last database forum. The
> 75% figure and potential performance drops have to do with read speed which
> is higher on the outer edge of a disk because of higher sector density (and
> lower seek time of the read/write head because movement is reduced).

I agree

Apparently disk manufracturers take this in account and have optimised disks
> for this now. If you want to optimise this way, check if you got any
> benefit from it.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any link where disk manufacturers has published this?

frits

Thanks,
goran