Re: ** rollback

From: A Joshi <ajoshi977_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:19:00 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you Arul and Mladen for your help.

Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_verizon.net> wrote: On 10/11/2006 08:21:10 PM, A Joshi wrote:
> Hi,
> I am upgrading 8i database to 9i. I will not be moving to UNDO management right away. I assume rollback segments will work on 9i the same way they work on 8i. I will be moving to UNDO soon since it is better. Similarly I will not be gathering statistics. I assume the existing statistics will work the same way on 9i as they worked on 8i and that it is not mandatory to generate them on 9i. I will be generating statistics soon. I am just trying to do the upgrade ASAP since it is overdue without worrying about other things. Does anyone have similar experience or any comments about this approach. Thanks for the help.

I have moving experience, both from 8i->9i and from CT -> NYC. Oracle 8i didn't have anything even similar to system statistics (DBMS_STATS.GATHER_SYSTEM_STATS). Also, CBO acts similarly, but not quite the same. There are different assumptions, rounding methods etc. If your plans on Oracle8i are good, I strongly advise storing outlines before the upgrade. Also, pray do analyze as block layout may be completely different. Also, unless you're using RAC, do not use ass managed tablespaces on Oracle 9i (ASSM).
As far as moving from CT to NYC is concerned, nothing can prepare you for Verizon. It took them 3 weeks to establish my DSL line. A colleague moved from Boston, MA to NYC and it took them the same amount of time. He moved to Brooklyn, I moved to Queens. Funny thing is that the company he used to work for in Boston was - Verizon Communications. Can you hear me now?

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mladen-gogala.com