RE: How to encrypt shell scripts on Unix

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:43:03 -0400

Also, if you create Oracle accounts w/ external (O/S) authentication, you can avoid passwords all together in your scripts.

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak

Senior Oracle Architect

ProQuest Information & Learning

There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which shouldn't be done at all. -Peter F. Drucker, 1909-2005

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jared Still Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 2:24 PM To: Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: How to encrypt shell scripts on Unix

On 10/11/06, Hameed, Amir <Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com> wrote:

	Hi folks,
	I am interested in knowing if anyone has successfully encrypt
their
	shell scripts (particularly on Solaris) that contained sensitive
	information (passwords, etc..) and how did they do it. I am
trying to
	use the "shc" utility which is supposed to do the job but it is
not
	working and keeps giving errors.
	Any feedback will be appreciated.

You may want to consider an alternative: do not put sensitive information (like passwords) into shell scripts.

Use some type of password server to supply passwords to the script at runtime.

Benefits are twofold:
1) no passwords in your scripts.
2) when passwords change, no modifications to the script are required.

--

Jared Still

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Oct 12 2006 - 13:43:03 CDT