Re: Giving RMAN amnesia

From: Bob <orcl_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:32:01 -0400

Yea... I know the delete commands, but there is other references that dont get removed when I do a delete backup. Pasted below:

What happened to me was I issued a command similar to this (Im not at my desk at the moment)

delete noprompt archivelog all completed before 'sysdate-4' backed up 2 times to device type disk;

S0 I was sure that rman did not need the archive redo from that time period and I manually deleted the logs, then

backup archivelog all delete input;

Rman complained about the missing archive logs I deleted....

Nevertheless what was deleted when, technically isnt my point, I'd like the ability to be sure rman knows nothing about previous configurations. ;-)

here is a clipping of rman configuration in the trace controlfile - this doesnt seem to reference *history* but Im afraid the system isnt dumping those settings to the trace controlfile, or they are in tables in the database.

 for example, this information must be in database tables: RMAN> LIST INCARNATION OF DATABASE; List of Database Incarnations
DB Key Inc Key DB Name DB ID STATUS Reset SCN Reset Time

------- ------- -------- ---------------- --- ---------- ----------
1       1       DG       1516222798       PARENT  1          30-AUG-05
2       2       DG       1516222798       PARENT  534907     03-OCT-06
3       3       DG       1516222798       CURRENT 642728     04-OCT-06

################################# contained in the control file after
delete backup ####################

EXECUTE
SYS.DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.CFILESETSNAPSHOTNAME('/TECH/ORACLE/PRODUCT/10.1.0/H1/SNAPCF_DG.F'); -- Configure RMAN configuration record 1 VARIABLE RECNO NUMBER;
EXECUTE :RECNO := SYS.DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.SETCONFIG('RETENTION POLICY','TO REDUNDANCY 2');
-- Configure RMAN configuration record 2 VARIABLE RECNO NUMBER;
EXECUTE :RECNO := SYS.DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.SETCONFIG('BACKUP OPTIMIZATION','OFF');
-- Configure RMAN configuration record 3 VARIABLE RECNO NUMBER;
EXECUTE :RECNO := SYS.DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.SETCONFIG('DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO','DISK');

--
"Oracle error messages being what they are, do not
highlight the correct cause of fault, but will identify