Re: Giving RMAN amnesia

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 03:30:13 -0400

On 10/11/2006 07:12:19 PM, Bob wrote:
> 10.1.0.4 on RH Linux using a control file instead of catalog.
> How can I reset the control file so rman looses all its configuration
> and I can start with a clean plate. I can manually hack away file
> references and settings but, is there a way (command) to re set the
> control file. I know I can rebuild the cf by hand but was looking for a
> more elegant method. Ive looked in the reset database command through
> rman but that doesnt do what I want.
>

> Ideas?
> Thanks
> Bob

Rman has delete command which can be used to permanently forget backups and clean them from the disk. Also, create controlfile command will make it possible to reset the controlfile. Be vewy, vewy careful with that. To re-create the controlfile, database must be shut down cleanly (normal or immediate) or you will have to do recovery. If your database is not in archivelog mode, you may have to kiss it goodbye.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mladen-gogala.com