Re: Increasing certifications on oracle database, could increase reliability on dbas

From: Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <juancarlosreyesp_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:05:54 -0400

Hi,
I'm going to give you another real example:

A friend had been certified on Oracle 9i severla years ago, recently I asked him about the upgrade and he told me he migrate to sql server and he think this is better than Oracle.

The problem for Oracle to oversimply certification, for very small business where dbas are developer at the same time, is the fact you can get wrongly the idea you get the maximum certificatoin, ocm seems more a practice of ocp exam.

This gives the wrong idea you know everything.

If there would be as java has a more complete certification path, then after you get the ocp you will know there is something more.

Now you tellme there is asktom and a lot of resources, sites and forums, I know in a serious problem I can even contact Tom Kyte or Jhonathan Lewis, and get an excellent answer, I know there is a lot of feature I must investigate when I get free time.
I know how big is Oracle, but first you have know this and have time to go to them, if your fist job isn't dba work, then you only give time to the database only when you have problems.

The fact there are few good dbas show there is a problem, one of dbas who don't investigate enough and one of dbas who don't know how they really can get from Oracle, recently ( last year) I knew dumps are really important for dba work, this seems contradictory beacuse is a "hidden" feature.