Re: Re-setting V$tables

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 00:42:50 -0400

On 10/10/2006 09:43:55 PM, Sergey Popov wrote:
> Here is one that resets all of them and for all users:
>
> shutdown force

I would have never thought of that, especially because "force" is not a legal option for the "shutdown" command. You probably wanted to imitate humor by saying "abort"? Maybe "startup force"? May the force be with you.

> Creating a new session will almost take care of v$sesstat for you.

Almost? Are you sure? Are you really, really sure? Whaddya mean by "take care of v$sesstat"? Concrete shoes? V$SESSION will be sleeping with the fishes? Is there a case in which I will get a new session and will not get a new statistics?

> It
> depend on triggers and client tool you use for this. They may do some
> after logon activity for you.

They may do some after logon activity for me? Like what? Sending my financial records to the IRS? I'm very picky about my database tools, I want them to execute my commands, no less, no more. That is why I use SQL*Plus and SQLDeveloper

Here's the deal: I have some long running applications which I want to profile, without restarting them. The applications are long running and not restartable without cleanup. Very surprising for developers, the application actually uses DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO. I need to create a profile and say which module is the most expensive one. I was investigating several possibilities:
1) Resetting statistics table whenever module boundaries are crossed and

   thus collect the statistics with ease and elegance. 2) Creating a table to which I would store the values at beginning and at the

   end, forcing me to write a SQL to calculate them. Unfortunately, I'll have    to do this.
3) Writing a Perl script which would produce the desired results by storing the

   intermediate results in hashes. Unfortunately, this is more work then 2),    especially if I use analytic functions like "lead" or "lag".

I was trying to see whether there is a way of getting away with option 1) under 10.2.0.2. Apparently not.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mladen-gogala.com