RE: Increasing certifications on oracle database, could increase reliability on dbas

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:05:37 -0700

>>>Knowledge can be learned or refreshed by dipping into a book
>>>or website but all the knowledge in the world about Oracle
>>>isn't going to help you if the problem is on the network,
>>>the OS or the thing connecting the chair to the keyboard.
>>>Good problem solving skills take longer to learn and can be
>>>applied more generally.

... to analogize, I draw upon the skill of telling time. Certifications only prove you know what time it is.

... I always look at it this way. I'd rather work with someone that knows how a clock works, and how to tell time, than someone who knows what time it is. I have recruited many senior software engineers over the years and that principle has always paid off. I also rejected loads of candidates that had certifications and degrees well beyond anything I can claim. In fact, my personal experience is that heavily certified/degreed personnel tend to not deliver in the commercial world. Back to the time telling analogy, the overly certified/degreed personnel tend to toil with the metallurgy of the clock, as it were, more than they should.