RE: 9i Physical Standby failover

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 22:31:18 +0200

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96653/sql_stmts.htm#1007811

It effectively is an incomplete recovery and performs a resetlogs, rendering your primary and other standby databases (if present at all) unusable.
So, after the activate standby database you need to re-instantiate a standby to the primary site, to be able to switch over to the original primary server.

What do you mean with 'the primary is gone'? Is the server accessible? Can you move online redo logs to the standby to complete recovery? Do you have all archived redo available at the standby?

I hope you're testing this with a test database. It is good to prepare for future disasters. I strongly recommend to start this preparation with a careful read of Data Guard Concepts & Administration.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===