Re: System tablespace datafile lost - NO archivelog - Recovery options...???

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 20:51:35 +0200

Marco,

Go to www.ora600.nl
This is the site of Kurt van Meerbeeck. This guy has done great jobs, and it is not all that expensive (a lot cheaper than DUL, and you can DIY). He was one of the teacher/presenters at the Miracle Downtime High Performance Bootcamp in June. Tuomas Pystynen was another one, and I happened to be the 3rd. Kurt sat next to me in my car for 16 hours driving to and from Copenhagen, so we had some time to chat.

One of his most remarkable stories was a Baan database. After a major crash it appeared tapes were never aged out, and a lot of tapes appeared unreadable. They managed to get all datafiles collected from a series of tapes spanning a month, except SYSTEM. Not that much of a consistent backup.

His tool (I've seen it working) parsed data files 'guessing' table layouts. This system ended up with 15000 tables, each exported in a dump file, each table numbered from 1..15000. A bunch of Baan consultants started (re)naming the tables based on the column type/order, and contents. After 2 weeks pretty much most of the data was there again.

Even better, if you have a system tablespace of say, a development clone, it can use that one to determine the layout and will pretty much be able to restore the whole lot.

HTH, Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===