Re: Bigfile tablespaces and ASSM.....

From: Christo Kutrovsky <kutrovsky.oracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 12:28:37 -0400

Another problem with BigFiles is that you cannot leverage the space of 2 diskgroups (not 2 luns) with bigfiles.

We had a case where we had the space in a different diskgroup, but you cannot use it.

There's good and bad about that. The bad is, we had the space but could not use it because of bigfiles. The good is, we did not allow a tablespace to exist in 2 diskgroups, which could've caused a lot of trouble later, when you think a diskgroup is not in use and etc.

I do however agree with Kevin, that in some cases it's not necessary to redistribute the data when you add storage. It would be nice if we had better control over it.

--
Christo Kutrovsky
Senior Database/System Administrator

-- Christo Kutrovsky Senior Database/System Administrator The Pythian Group - www.pythian.com I blog at http://www.pythian.com/blogs/ -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l