Re: An Oracle Linux distro

From: Rodd Holman <Rodd.Holman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 09:31:14 -0500

I would look at it, but not sure if I would adopt it. I've been very satisfied with the SuSE distro as my desktop. RHEL 4 is running my 9i OEM stuff just fine.

I would be interested to see if the Oracle distro would come with the compilers, java, gnu utils, etc. required to install the Oracle products without massive patch getting or downgrading (getting and backward installing gcc is annoying).

Also would it come default with the appropriate base kernel parameters set? Or would it let you set them during install

   How big of an SGA are you installing? <enter number>     Ok I'll auto set the kernel parameter yyyy to xxxx handle this.

and such.

To be the only distro I use, they'd be competing against SuSE for desktop environment. If they can do it better and more seamlessly with their tools, I'd consider it. I'm not married to software.

Rodd