RE: Storing blobs in database vs filesystem

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 15:21:45 -0400

Yep, and in our case, we hashed our directory structure in a naïve-but-human-readable way of (first letter)/(second letter). So, gridapp.com in the DNS tree would have been in: /path/to/filer/g/r/gridapp.com.

Obviously, /s/t/ was significantly busier than /y/q/, but still, it kept us down to in the 100s of thousands of files per directory on the high end instead of millions. And even then, we had to use Netapp, as all of the commodity filesystems would blow up whenever we had to do mass nameserver reloads.

Matt