Re: Anyone used Tru64 "spike" for Performance Optimization ?

From: Kevin Lidh <kevin.lidh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 10:28:52 -0600

When I was with my former company, we did do a spike test. It was a large billing system (J2EE/WebLogic) running against a 2 TB, 3-node, 9.2.0.4.0 RAC database (I have more specs if you're interested). We did see a nominal gain but it really paled in comparison to the gains from fixing bad SQL (no binds, indexing, etc.). What our SA told us was that if we changed any of the variables such as workload, the spiked version of the binary could be worse than the original. So you'd have to re-evaluate performance from time-to-time. I'm trying to contact the SA who did the spike with us in case you have more specific questions.