Re: How best to get Oracle to divulge "proprietary information"

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 09:48:12 -0600

The problem is customer privacy. There are customer company names, people names, phone numbers, email addresses (i.e. contact info) as well as details about what the customer is trying to do in those bug texts.

Of course, there is plenty of text that is "hidden" from view without that justification. But, when there is legal liability involving privacy and the competitive advantage of customers, one naturally tends to paint with a broad brush, just in case. I'm sure that the rule within Oracle is "if in doubt, hide the text".

I'm sure that Oracle Legal goes ape on a regular basis on having *any* bug text exposed on MetaLink. They don't give a darn about the advantages to customers trying to diagnose problems -- they are concerned only with the liabilities involved and the resulting potential financial exposure, and that exposure is considerable. Think about it.

I've worked for companies that host systems for bitter competitors in the same industry -- these competitors actually stipulated in their hosting contracts that their data would not reside on the same storage devices as their competitors. Of course, they would not share the same servers. They even mandated that they would not share network or network components. Can you imagine how these people would react if they found their competitor reading one of their bug texts, with some bit of identifying information exposed? "Ballistic" doesn't begin to illustrate what would happen...

For that matter, think of the existing exposure the bug texts in MetaLink could represent for medical companies in the US covered by the HIPAA regulations. I hate to say it, but Oracle could already very well be in violation of federal law on that. It's bad enough I just said that on an open forum, and it is purely hypothetical and speculative, but what if it is true?

Think about that, and just be grateful that *any* of the bug texts are exposed. Personally, I work each day with the expectation that they will disappear altogether.

--
Tim Gorman
consultant - Evergreen Database Technologies, Inc.

website = http://www.evdbt.com
email   = tim_at_evdbt.com
mobile  = +1-303-885-4526
fax     = +1-303-484-3608