Re: How best to get Oracle to divulge "proprietary information"

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 01:25:20 +1000

Charles Schultz wrote,on my timestamp of 3/10/2006 11:58 PM:

> Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I think to a certain extent you are. Feature-wise, I don't expect to ever see Oracle disclose the details of how they do the new fast sorting in 10g, for example. Or RAC cache. Or a number of many other "competitive advantages". They are not under the GNU license, so that's fair.

However, I do object very strongly to not being able to check all bugs and their text in Metalink or even be able to see a short description of them. After all I'm paying for Metalink access as a service that is supposed, among other things, to help me find solutions to problems I might be experiencing or expect to encounter.

Or at least a note on if it is a known problem or a new one. It used to be that way. But it appears Oracle have lapsed back into "we're the only ones who can see the bugs" mode, in recent years. And that's as annoying as can be! Certainly not worth my moolah...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto