RE: How best to get Oracle to divulge "proprietary information"

From: Richard J. Goulet <rgoulet_at_kanbay.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 10:47:34 -0400

Charles,

    I'll admit that I would be extremely happy if Oracle published the entirety of their documentation (internal as well as external) on OTN, but you know that's NOT going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future. And given the wealth of documentation form Jonathan & others running around out there on Amazon & other locations I think your probably "barking up the wrong tree". Now I would appreciate it if Oracle would cease having notes, bugs, etc on Metalink that are non-public. I mean if you guys know something about a problem that I'm having at least have the courtesy to let me see it.

Dick Goulet, Senior Oracle DBA

45 Bartlett St Marlborough, Ma 01752, USA Tel.: 508.573.1978 |Fax: 508.229.2019 | Cell:508.742.5795

RGoulet_at_kanbay.com
: POWERING TRANSFORMATION

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Charles Schultz Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 9:59 AM
To: Oracle Freelists.org
Subject: How best to get Oracle to divulge "proprietary information"

I am sure many of you, like me, have been befuddled when Oracle refuses to answer a question because of "proprietary information". Has anyone had any luck in arguing, convincing, persuading, bribing or otherwise cajoling Oracle in this regard? Does/can IOUG sometimes leverage "scientific" arguments to disclose information for the user community's benefit?

I completely understand that there is an issue of intellectual property rights and that Oracle does not want some script kiddie to duplicate key features. Yet, I do not understand why Oracle does not offer more information to DBAs so that they can understand the kernel better. I have a hard time believing that this is merely a ploy to keep Oracle Support in service with money in its pockets - it seems to me that Oracle Support is already overworked as it is, and they could use a little help from well-meaing users. I cannot tell you how hard I laugh when a Support Analyst quotes Jonathan Lewis (or some other non-Oracle employee big name).

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

--
Charles Schultz

klogo.gif