Re: How best to get Oracle to divulge "proprietary information"

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 14:52:38 +0000

They have competitors. If they have a feature that is even a little better than their competitors and they provide information on how they created it, then their competitors can copy it. Now their competitors have alot of smart people. They probably have Oracle installed on their systems and have people backward engineering it to figure out how they are doing things. However, this takes time and costs money. Oracle probably has SQL Server installed and is doing the same thing.

Coca Cola has been around for since the 19th century and they still keep their mix secret. There is a famous Hot Dog chain started in New York called 'Nathans Hotdogs'. They actually have several vendors make parts of their mix and then combine it so no one knows what they are doing. They have been around since I think the 1920s.

This stuff has major economic value.

I completely understand that there is an issue of intellectual property rights and that Oracle does not want some script kiddie to duplicate key features. Yet, I do not understand why Oracle does not offer more information to DBAs so that they can understand the kernel better. I have a hard time believing that this is merely a ploy to keep Oracle Support in service with money in its pockets - it seems to me that Oracle Support is already overworked as it is, and they could use a little help from well-meaing users. I cannot tell you how hard I laugh when a Support Analyst quotes Jonathan Lewis (or some other non-Oracle employee big name).

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

--

Charles Schultz
--