How best to get Oracle to divulge "proprietary information"

From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 08:58:43 -0500

I am sure many of you, like me, have been befuddled when Oracle refuses to answer a question because of "proprietary information". Has anyone had any luck in arguing, convincing, persuading, bribing or otherwise cajoling Oracle in this regard? Does/can IOUG sometimes leverage "scientific" arguments to disclose information for the user community's benefit?

I completely understand that there is an issue of intellectual property rights and that Oracle does not want some script kiddie to duplicate key features. Yet, I do not understand why Oracle does not offer more information to DBAs so that they can understand the kernel better. I have a hard time believing that this is merely a ploy to keep Oracle Support in service with money in its pockets - it seems to me that Oracle Support is already overworked as it is, and they could use a little help from well-meaing users. I cannot tell you how hard I laugh when a Support Analyst quotes Jonathan Lewis (or some other non-Oracle employee big name).

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

--

Charles Schultz

--