RE: ORA-600

From: Susan White <swhite_at_lifetouch.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 07:46:12 -0500

Good morning Jared,

I believe he used the "getlength' function to find those of 0 (I assume) length and then used EMPTY_BLOB() to "initialize" it.

Thanks

Susan

From: Jared Still [mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com] Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 4:49 PM
To: Susan White
Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: ORA-600

On 10/2/06, Susan White <swhite_at_lifetouch.com> wrote:

        We have an 8.1.6 database running on Linux. One of the tables contains two blob columns. About 3 weeks ago, one of the admins decided to do maintenance on the blob columns by reinitializing those he determined had no data. At this point, the database started throwing ORA-600 errors and writing frequently to an smon trace file. We don't normally support this database, so I just heard about it today.

I'm curious about a couple things:

  1. Howd did the admin detemine that the blob 'had no data'?
  2. What exactly is 'reinitialize'?
--

Jared Still

This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System. For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email