Re: Using SAN or local drives?

From: Nathan Dietsch <njd_at_ndietsch.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 01:14:53 +1000

Hello Anjo,

Anjo Kolk wrote:
> Normally when things run slow, you are using a SAN. If things are
> fast, you are local disks.

If that really is your expectation, then I think you need to look at your SAN configuration for performance issues. Generally the access to disks on a storage array are faster than access to local disks. Write-cache is wonderful stuff when you can get it.
> On 9/29/06, *J. Dex* <cemail_219_at_hotmail.com
> <mailto:cemail_219_at_hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
> By using df -k, how can I tell whether a system is using a SAN
> device versus
> having everything on local drives? If it is all logical drives,
> wouldn't
> all of the mount points start out with something like
> /dev/lvm0/ and then be sliced up among Logical Volumes?

J:

Which OS are you using? I am assuming Linux or HP-UX given the mention of LVM. The specifics would be different for each OS, but you should be able to trace from the device mounted (seen using df -k) to see actual controllers in use and this would tell you whether you are using a SAN or local disks.

Kind Regards,

Nathan Dietsch