Re: Performance benchmark with Oracle 32bit and 64bit

From: Anjo Kolk <anjo.kolk_at_oraperf.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:19:08 +0200

Basic and Rule Of Thumb:

"If 32 bit oracle does a lot of reads, 64 bit oracle will help to reduce the reads and improve overall performance"
"If 32 bit oracle does not do a lot of reads, 64 bit oracle will not improve that much and overall performance could degrade a bit"

Also make sure that you do real tests: run long enough for I/O and cache impact to become steady. So called "Steady State".

Anjo.

On 9/29/06, Nirmalya Das <nirmalya_at_hln.com> wrote:

> I am trying to establish a "performance benchmark" between an Oracle 32bit
> vs.
> Oracle 64 bit installations for the same database.
>
> I think I posed the question before and sorry for the repost.
>
> My understanding with the 64bit is that I can have a much larger SGA than
> the
> 32bit installation and thereby be able to play with many other pools like
> keep
> pool etc.
>
> Has anybody done any study on this or know of any tool which can help
> doing this
> study.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Nirmalya