Re: Heads Up on Grid Control 10.2

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:12:46 -0700

The GC workshop was fairly successful.

I actually liked GC, which is quite different from my experiences with OEM.

We didn't install it, just learned some of the features and how to use it.

If you can spend the $$ on the diagnostics pack, it appeared it would be a worthwhile purchase. The client makes it fairly easy to drill down on problem SQL (which is usually the problem, right?), see the execution plan, run the SQL profiler (if you bought the $$ SQL tuning pack) and play what-if with the SQL.

There was an embarrassing moment for the instructor though, when an error popped up trying to show one of the features. A problematic feature apparently, as she had just finished warning us about some things occasionally causing trouble. oops.

A call to the data center in Austin got it fixed. The feature in question involves running a copy of the Oracle Intelligent Agent in 'beacon' mode on a remote PC. The agent will periodically replay a transaction (Web based, or C/S based), and allow you to do end-to-end analysis on the latencies of the transaction. Very nice feature, worthy of further investigation.

Sorry, I did not get the opportunity to ask about the questions raised in Oracle-L,
the class was overbooked, we all used our own notebooks, and the tech folks were kept quite busy.

I did ask explicity questions about licensing however. If you are licensed to use Oracle, you are licensed to use GC. This includes Oracle Application Server, as a runtime license only, as well as the database, also runtime.

You will need to pay for $$ for the extra packs.

   Diagnostic and SQL Tuning packs - Diag a prereq for the SQL pack.    Provisioning Pack
   Change Mgt Pack

Those are all extra $$, as well as some of the plugins. SQL Server, DB2, ...

--
Jared Still