Re: database resource usage

From: James Foronda <James.Foronda_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:53:32 -0400

Chris,

I think I misread your initial post. I thought that you only had 2 databases. Reading your initial post again, it looks like you have 4 databases on a single box (2 prods, 1 test, 1 development).

Solaris Zones can still handle this situation. You can create 4 zones and put a database on each zone. CPU resource management will still work because CPU resources are defined in fractions of a CPU (granularity is 1% of a CPU resource, if I'm not mistaken). So it is possible to assign 50% of a CPU to dev, another 50% of a CPU to test and the other CPU goes to the 2 production databases.

The other thing I failed to mention is that if the CPUs are not being used, a Zone can use *all* the CPU resources that are available. The CPU cap can be looked at as some sort of guarantee of resources. For example, if all your databases are busy with the CPUs, each of the Zones are guaranteed to have their defined share. If only one Zone is busy, it can use the 2 CPUs.

I hope that clarifies it a little bit.

James