RE: Cloning Oracle versus Installing from OUI

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:45:03 -0400

Sorry to jump in on this so late, but it's a very interesting conversation, and one that is near and dear to my heart.

The division of labor between the sysadmin and the DBA in Oracle environments varies wildly from organization to organization. The installation of Oracle alone is something that requires root privileges at one step at least, not to mention the patches, prereqs, etc. that are described here. This gets even worse with RAC and technologies like ASM, where there's storage and cluster-level interaction.

I have seen shops where the sysadmins install oracle, and shops where there's a DBA team JUST for installing Oracle, and everything in between. YMMV.

When companies come to us for database automation, provisioning automation is one of the biggest requests, because organizations are tired of the back-and-forth between systems and DBA teams, not to mention the complexities of standardizing the provisioning process. In general, you want to reduce the number of people who have to touch the provisioning process, and if you can get it down to one person, from OS->storage->prereqs->database, that's the way to get the fastest, most stable database provisioning process.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito